Lifestyle financial planning
Traditionally, financial advisers dive straight in and start talking about money.
For the past decade, however, lifestyle financial planning has been the most dynamic movement in our profession. The focus has shifted, away from financial products and towards a service that puts people before money.
James is both a Certified Financial Planner, as awarded by the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment, and a Registered Life Planner with The Kinder Institute of Life Planning.
James’ training and qualifications have helped him to develop an advanced set of skills, knowledge and experience.
As a lifestyle financial planner, James is trained to listen and ask the questions that help discover what you truly want to accomplish, experience and be in life.
“If you had more time or money, what would you do?”
“What do you want to accomplish or attain so you will feel that you’ve had a life well-lived?”
“What moves, touches, or inspires you?”
If we decide to work together, we will take the following steps to get to know you and your objectives. We’ll use this knowledge of your most deeply-felt aspirations to create a financial plan that’s fit for purpose.
- Our initial meeting will revolve around getting to know you. This meeting helps us understand your aspirations and objectives; we will also outline how our service can be of benefit to you. We’ll collect some of the basic information we need and, of course, explain our fees. This meeting is generally held at our office and there is no charge.
- Our discovery meeting is where we will start to qualify your personal objectives and build a much clearer picture of your financial situation.
- Our research will then commence. We will first need to obtain details of your existing pensions, savings and investments. Most of us hate paperwork, so, with your authority, we’ll write to the companies involved to obtain the latest information. At this stage, we’ll also look at what investment risk means to you. Through a detailed questionnaire and the application of some common sense, we’ll establish an appropriate investment strategy.
- Your lifetime plan will then be created. Having a strategy in place, based on your aspirations and objectives, is the bedrock of all financial planning. Using state-of-the-art financial planning technology, we’ll model scenarios and track investments, showing you the various paths to achieving your objectives. We’ll make recommendations and implement the necessary work to get you on track for meeting them.
- Our ongoing service ensures that life’s changes don’t get in the way of your success. Should your needs, preferences or aspirations change, our relationship allows for a detailed review at least once a year to ensure your financial plan is working to achieve the best results for you.
What is lifestyle financial planning
James explains more about lifestyle financial planning and how it helps our clients achieve their goals and aspirations.
Our investment principles
Our investment principles are based on a vast body of academic research, evidence and understanding.
Our approach involves capturing what the entire investment ocean has to offer. We believe that this method produces better results than trying to pick one small area of water that could cease to yield at any point, due to factors outside our control.
- We’ll first prepare a financial life plan to help clarify your objectives. The market, even at low cost, is an expensive place to be if you’re not clear about why you’re there and how much you have to invest.
- We’ll analyse how much risk you should to take, how much you can afford to take and your capacity for loss.
- We’ll construct a portfolio that takes all your objectives and aspirations into account. We make sure this portfolio is diversified as widely as possible, capturing what the whole market has to offer.
- We’ll ensure your costs of investing are kept low by using index funds that minimise cost.
- We’ll keep you focused on the long term and the benefits of compounding. The longer you’re in the market, the more growth you will see.